Tweeting is something I’m not very good at yet. It’s been low priority for me because I like sentences and paragraphs and conversations with people I can get to know. So far Twitter has been the opposite of all of that, but it’s also refreshing in ways I haven’t expected. Remind me to rant endlessly about attention spans and 140 character political and social positions. Later, though, because this isn’t about that.
Today a friend of mine retweeted this: “Social media can be a medium for practicing craft.” And I thought, “Well, of course it can,” because I was thinking about the community I’ve stumbled into who combine YouTube videos with tarot and goddess and crystal discussions.
And then I realized my retweeting friend was twittering from a writing conference. So, she meant writing craft, and of course that’s also true, because I haven’t yet, but a lot of people are mini-memoiring through Instagram, and I’m sure other social media places I haven’t run across yet.
And it reminded me of another conversation about a publisher who’s looking for craft books, and I thought, “Hey, I’m really good at card making tutorials!” But they also meant writing craft. And then I had to laugh, because I love when words sneak up on you with their multiple meanings and make you think about connections and saying two or three things at once, and I thought I might carry the word “craft” around in my pocket for a while, like a feather on my path. To reflect.
I bought this domain again. I owned it several years ago for one of those crafty purposes, and lately I’ve been wanting a place again. It’s not at all ready for public consumption, and I’m having a challenge figuring out how to make it my own. And I know if I wait until it’s ready for public consumption it will be as empty as a lot of the notebooks I’ve picked up and meant to write in over the years.
I tend to segment myself, and I’m setting a challenge to bring my parts together in this place. I’d like to figure out how to give each of them a sub-page or whatever, but here’s what I’m currently thinking:
- Random rambly thoughts, a lot like this entry, because the place I used to have for journaling isn’t working for me anymore, and I’m hoping for the potential of back-and-forthing in comments (in a good way). In a way this is also writing craft, though these may be separate things. Must ponder more.
- Cards. I make greeting cards. I want to sell them for this holiday season, and I might do a tutorial every now and then. I’m thinking of combining this with Instagram (though really, one new social media thing at a time, right?) And I’ll likely do the selling through Etsy. Gah! Ok. Just making a list right now.
- Cards. I said that already, but I’d like to pick back up some form of my tarot practice. I’ve been burning cedar lately in the evenings, and I had the idea to combine the Craft with the crafty and design some cards based on my meditations, perhaps one day growing that into a kind of self-made tarot deck. That’s way down the line. For now, just meditation-inspired card designs.
- Podcast stuff. I don’t talk about it much, but I’ve been the sound editor for the Brevity Podcast for a while now, and I’m starting to feel comfortable enough doing it to wade into the larger world of sound clips and people who do things with them. I’m not sure what that will look like here, but I’m looking forward to figuring it out.
- There are a couple other things rolling around in my head, but this is a start anyway. Room to grow and all that.
Thanks for stopping by. I hope you’ll come again when I figure out the settling in. Hopefully I’ve got this configured to allow for comments. Please take a minute to say hello.